- Batalá rehearses each Wednesday evening from 7:00-8:30/9:00 pm at Durham Central Park at 501 Foster St Durham NC, 27701. PLEASE DO NOT PARK UNDER THE PAVILION AT DURHAM CENTRAL PARK PRIOR TO 7:00 PM. STREET PARKING ONLY!
- As Batalá Durham is a performance group, participation in rehearsals is expected in order to learn new music and maintain knowledge of the standards. We understand life happens and members are not expected to be at all rehearsals, but participating on a regular basis is a requirement for playing shows. There is no formal policy on what percentage of rehearsals are required nor how many shows a member needs to be available for (stating this as some other Batalá bands have rigid rules about this) so performance participation is at the discretion of the band leadership. Please be thoughtful about this as you consider membership in the band. If you know you work weekends and have an inflexible schedule, travel frequently for work, have childcare challenges, travel frequently during the summer and/or on weekends (when most of our shows happen), or otherwise are not going to be available for rehearsals and/or shows, this may not be the right opportunity for you.
ONCE YOU ARE A MEMBER
- Each member is asked to contribute $10 per month to cover the costs of drums and costumes as the band buys and owns all of the equipment. This can be paid via PayPal or in person at rehearsals. Neither members nor management are paid for performances and all show revenue goes back to the band as well. Please make an effort to contribute by the first or second rehearsal of each month in order to stay current. Paying for multiple months at a time is easier and gladly accepted.
- Members will have to purchase their own sticks or mallets. Surdo, dobra, and repique mallets are all available from the band at our cost of $15. The band provides straps to use for free, though most members opt to purchase a much more comfortable belt available from the band at our cost of around $32. Snare sticks can be purchased at music stores.
- When a member is assigned a drum and costume, we ask for a $150 undated deposit check written to the band that remains uncashed. If the drum or costume is lost, damaged (beyond wear and tear), or destroyed then the deposit check is cashed in order for the band to replace the equipment.
- Members wear Batalá t-shirts or tank tops to rehearsals and to some shows (depending on the event). These items are sold to the members for $10, the same price as the band pays for them.
- When a member is assigned equipment, that drum and costume are to be used for Batalá only events. Members are free to participate in other events outside of the band with their own drums, but Batalá-branded equipment is only used for Batalá performances. This policy includes cases where the member owns their drum but has applied Batalá branding/styles to it.